Saturday, June 29, 2013

Breaking Bad Is Pretty Bad (Good)!

I have been having a hard time to find something worth watching on television now that my two favorite series are done for the year, Madmen and Justified. So I decided to give Breaking Bad a look since the station it is shown on started showing all of its previous season’s episodes leading up to its last season that will be shown in August. I initially wasn’t interested in it because of methamphetamine's don’t interest me at all but now that I have seen 10 episodes I find that it really isn’t trying to make any kind of a statement about meth, it is trying to show how a dying person can go to pretty extreme measures when they are facing desperation and death. I suspect there is some truthfulness in the way the lead character is going about trying to get through his desperate and trying times after finding out he has advanced lung cancer and is faced with wanting to provide a future for his wife and children when he is gone. He doesn’t have any choices on how to do this so when the idea of making and selling meth is shown to him by his brother-in-law (it wasn’t shown to him for this purpose but then stuff happens). There is some humor in the show but not as much as I expected and some of the things that would normally be humorous aren’t because of the tragic nature of the lead character’s situation. I suppose the underlying premise is what circumstances can make good people do bad things when they are desperate. Everyone can kind of relate to wondering what they might do when faced with dire circumstances and having very few options. We would all like to think we wouldn’t do bad things but you can’t really know what you would do unless you actually have something like this happen to you. I can’t read anyone’s reviews since I am only episodes into the show and I imagine the reviews would tell me things about future episodes that I would like to be surprised by. I don’t need a crystal ball to tell me that things aren’t going to get better or less violent though.

No comments:

Post a Comment