Monday, June 24, 2013

Oregon Filbert Cookies

Oregon Filbert Squares

This recipe has been one of my favorite cookies since I was a kid. I got the recipe from my mother 40 years ago and I don't know where she got it. At my house in Oregon we always used to have filbert trees in our back yard, when I first heard of hazelnuts I wondered what they were until I had some and found out a filbert is a hazelnut. These soft and tasty cookies are still one of my favorites!

1 cup  butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, seperated
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 cup chopped filberts

1. Cream butter and sugar together and beat in egg yolk. Sift flour and sir in cardamom. Blend dry ingredients into butter mixture. Spread dough into 15 x10 x 1 inch pan. Press dough with your hands or a pastry knife to make smooth. Beat egg white and brush on top of dough. Sprinkle filberts on top and press in. Bake at 275 degrees for one hour. While hot cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.

Servings: 70
Yield: 70 squares

Oven Temperature: 275°F
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Amount Per Serving
Calories 60

No comments:

Post a Comment